Computers have revolutionised the way in which genealogy research and recording is undertaken, and is continuing to change the way in which research is done as new technology and tools evolve.
The main classes of computers that genealogists and family historians generally use come under the following headings.
- Desktop computers - A case, a monitor, keyboard and mouse
- Laptop computers - Portable, all in one case of varying sizes and capabilities
- Notebook computers - Lightweight, portable all in one case of varying size, similar capability to laptop
- Tablet computers - Smaller and less powerful than notebooks, can be hand held, limited capabilities
- Smartbooks and Personal Digital Assistants or PDAs - Smaller and less powerful than tablets, hand held, limited capabilities
- Smartphones - Smaller than tablets, multi-functional as phones with limited computing capabilities
Personal Computer Software
Other Computer items